Thursday, July 23, 2015

Cumin & Honey Roasted Carrots



My husband and I were recently in New York City and had the opportunity to visit Chef Jean Georges' ABC Kitchen. This was the highlight of our culinary adventure in The Big Apple. I ordered the carrot and avocado salad with crunchy seeds, which is very similar to one of the salads in his cookbook Home Cooking with Jean George.  The salad was hands down the best salad I have ever had and if you follow my posts regularly you know that I love salad.  


This is my take on these carrots and they are my new obsession.  They are as good hot as cold, on their own or in a salad.  Give them a try.  I hope you love them as much as I do.

Ingredients


24 whole carrots, scrubbed (not peeled)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 orange, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large pot of boiling water cook the carrots until you are able to pierce them with a fork.

Drain carrots.  Allow to drip dry in a colander.

While they are drying place garlic, orange juice, olive oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper in a mortar.  Mash it all together with the pestle.  Alternatively you can use an immersion blender or food processor.

Lay the carrots out on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Brush the sauce over the carrots, rotating them until they are covered all around.  If there is any sauce remaining after you have brushed all of the carrots, pour it on top of them.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots start to brown.

1 comment:

  1. What perfect timing. I was just looking at the bag of boring carrots in my fridge and wondering what to do with them. And how to get my daughter to eat them. I usually just douse them in sugar-free maple syrup and heat. This looks so much better! I will try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete